The Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth) and the Australian Consumer Law set out various key requirements regulating the standard of conduct that is expected of businesses generally as well as more stringent requirements when dealing with consumers.
In summary they ensure amongst other requirements:
- Certain guarantees and warranty requirements when supplying goods and services to consumers are provided.
- Businesses are restricted from engaging in certain conduct that is unfair, misleading, deceptive, or unconscionable;
- Advertising and marketing related conduct is appropriately regulated;
- Product safety and standards;
- Anti-competitive behaviour is prohibited; and
- Standard form contracts containing unfair terms are unenforceable.